Recommended Pet Rat Bedding
- This differs for everyone, however, rats are susceptible to respiratory problems, therefore, AVOID anything that has cedar or pine.
- Be careful with substrate bedding and take caution with dust.
- If you are not sure, just go with fleece.
Based on research, we have found these to be best for your pet rats.
OPTION#1. Anti-Pill Fleece fabric and U-HAUL
- Anti pill fleece and U-HAUL Furniture Pads are easier to clean and are considered the best by most people, especially if you are using the critter nation cage.
- And when using fleece for pet rats, throw in an old t-shirt that you don’t wear anymore so that your pet rats don’t chew on your fleece. They will chew on the t-shirt instead.
See video of chewed-up fleece: It can be avoided.
- It’s crucial to read more about anti-pill fleece and U-HAUL furniture pads here to know how to prepare and use them properly.
Also, don’t just get any fleece fabric. (Non-pill or Anti-pill fleece is recommended.) Examples are:
- David Textiles 330 Anti-Pill Fleece Solid Fabric by The Yard 60″ Wide
- Creative Cuts Anti-Pill Fleece by the Yard
- David Textiles Anti-Pill Fleece Buffalo Plaid Fabric By The Yard 60″ Wide
- David Textiles Anti-Pill Fleece Nursery Plaid Fabric By The Yard 60″ Wide
If you go with fleece bedding, it’s advisable to use either of the following substrates in the litter pan/ box/ tray:
#1. Yesterday’s News Unscented Recycled Paper Pellet Cat Litter
#2. Back 2 Nature Small Animal Bedding
#3. Disposable puppy/pee pads
Throw in a smooth pee rock in the litter pan as well.
Rats like peeing on smooth surfaces.
What if you want to use a substrate bedding in your Midwest critter nation cage?
If you opt to use substrate bedding, you will require some metal bass pans made by bass equipment company.
Critter Nation Replacement Pans (Get this at Bass Equipment Company)
Metal pans will give your cages a place to pour your substrate.
See video of bass pans in critter nation cage.
Let’s take a look at some of the recommended pet rat substrate bedding materials
OPTION#2. Recycled Paper pellets (Purina yesterday’s news Unscented Paper Cat Litter)
See video on how this is used.
Those who do not like cleaning will definitely love these as they are changed out every 1.5-2 weeks.
You can have 1 or 2-inch-deep bedding.
Where do I get this bedding?
OPTION#3. FiberCore Eco-Bedding Natural
See video on how fibercore eco-beding is mixed with purina yesterday’s news cat litter (option 2 above).
Where Do You Get FiberCore Eco-Bedding Natural?
OPTION#4. Kaytee Clean & Cozy Small Animal Bedding (White in color) UNSCENTED or Kaytee Clean & Cozy Natural Small Animal Bedding (Brownish in color) UNSCENTED
- You can mix Kaytee clean & cozy with FiberCore Eco-Bedding Natural to save on money
- Also, you may or may not place a potty/pee/puppy pad underneath.
Where Do I Get This?
Before Purchasing this, read this to make a better and informed choice.
OPTION#5. Fitch Paper Pet Bedding for Small Animals
Fitch Paper Pet Bedding qualities
- healthy for your STO
- it is soft
- hides smells
- it is super cheap
- it is very absorbent
Watch A Review of Fitch Bedding
Where Can I get Fitch Paper Pet Bedding?
OPTION#6. Boxo Comfort Small Animal Bedding
- great for burrowing as it is soft.
- It controls odors.
- It is a cheap and a better alternative to carefresh.
Watch Boxo Comfort and Kaytee Clean and Cozy in Use
Where Do I Get Boxo Comfort Small Animal Bedding?
OPTION#7. Pillow Wad Eco-Nest