9 Recommended Short-Tailed Opossum Bedding (Updated 2022)
When determining what material to use for your Short-tailed Opossum bedding, various factors are considered:
- Safety of your pet
- Characteristics of your pet (does she/he like to burrow)
- Ease of cleaning (Do you mind regular cleaning? What cleaning works for you?)
- Your financial situation (what can you afford for your pet)
- Hygiene of the cage
Short-tailed opossums are clean; they tend to choose a corner for their bathroom needs.
It is, therefore, easy to train him or her.
OPTION#1. Anti-Pill Fleece
- Anti pill fleece is easier to clean and is considered the best by most people, especially if you are using the critter nation cage.
- It is very important to read more about anti-pill fleece here to know how to use it properly.
If you go with fleece bedding, it’s advisable to use either of the following substrates in the litter pan/ box/ tray:
#1. Yesterday’s News Unscented Recycled Paper Pellet Cat Litter
#2. Back 2 Nature Small Animal Bedding
#3. Disposable puppy/pee pads
US: AmazonBasics Dog and Puppy Pee, Potty Training Pads, Heavy Duty X-Large (28 x 34) – Pack of 25
UK: AmazonBasics Heavy Duty Pet and Puppy Training Pads, Regular -50-Count
Place this Litter Pan/tray below the short-tailed opossum exercise wheel. This is mainly because she/ he will pee or poop around the wheel area.
See video of using fleece and litter pan:
OPTION#2. Hemp Floor for Small Pets or Kerbl Hemp Rodent Mat, 40 x 100 x 1 cm
-STOs are clean and will not just pee anywhere. They usually pee around the wheel area and corners. Therefore, in this areas you can sprinkle some hemp chips (Dr. Hemp All Natural Pet Bedding) to lengthen the use of these mats. They can even go for a whole month without changing.
-If you go the substrate bedding way, that is you do not want to go with fleece or mats and the type of cage you have does not have a place to pour substrate, for example, the critter nation cage, you will need some Critter Nation Replacement Pans. These bass pans are made by bass equipment company. You can give them your specifications/ measurements. The bass pans will give your cages a place to pour the substrate.
See video of bass pans in critter/ferret nation cage.
- Whatever bedding you choose for the entire floor, choose a different one for the litter pan.
- Mixing 2 or more bedding can have beneficial results in terms of your STO’s comfort and your financial comfort.
Where Do I Get The Hemp Mat?
OPTION#3. FiberCore Eco-Bedding Natural
OPTION#4. Dr. Hemp All Natural Pet Bedding
OPTION#5. Kaytee Clean & Cozy Small Animal Bedding (White in color) UNSCENTED or Kaytee Clean & Cozy Natural Small Animal Bedding (Brownish in color) UNSCENTED
OPTION#6. Yesterday’s News Unscented Recycled Paper Pellet Cat Litter
- Yesterday’s News Cat Litter, Non-Clumping, Unscented can be used for the entire cage floors.
- This will also depend on the type of cage you go for.
- Your short-tailed opossum will love corners and the wheel area for the bathroom – you can scoop out these areas once you notice they are too soiled.
- Changing the entire substrate can be after 1-2 weeks or when needed (if you notice it has become too messy). STOs are very clean.
- Mix this bedding with kaytee clean and cozy or throw in some toilet paper for nesting material.
Here is a video showing this substrate in use:
Where do I get this bedding?
OPTION#7. Pillow Wad Eco-Nest
This bedding has been given 5 stars by STO owners who use it. From its value to its use in the STO cage, it is a recommended type of bedding. You will need to add in some nesting material.
Where Can You Get Pillow Wad Eco-Nest, Large, 3 x 3.2KG bags?
OPTION#8. Fitch Paper Pet Bedding for Small Animals
Fitch Paper Pet Bedding qualities
- healthy for your STO
- it is soft
- hides smells
- it is super cheap
- it is very absorbent
Watch A Review of Fitch Bedding
Where Can I get Fitch Paper Pet Bedding?
OPTION#9. Boxo Comfort Small Animal Bedding
- great for burrowing as it is soft.
- It controls odors.
- It is a cheap and a better alternative to carefresh.
Watch Boxo Comfort and Kaytee Clean and Cozy in Use
Where Do I Get Boxo Comfort Small Animal Bedding?