Helping You Choose The Right Pet Rat Cage
Recommended Pet Rat Cage Characteristics
- A cage with solid floors is the BEST. We do not want your pet rats getting sores or bumps on their feet (bumble feet).
- HEIGHT is also very important. You can never go too tall/ high with rats. They love climbing!!!
- Ground space is also important to fit supplies (accessories).
- Meshed/ barred tops and sides are important for ventilation, to hang accessories like hammocks and toys and for your rat to climb.
- (BAR SPACING 0.5 INCHES MAXIMUM!!!!) If you get wider this is what happens, see clip.
Recommended Cage Dimensions
- Minimum dimensions for cage 80 x 50 x 60 cm (32” x 20” x 24”)
- How to know the number of rats to fit in a particular cage– 1 rat requires 2 square feet per rat or see rat calculator here.
What Are The Recommended Pet Rat Cages?
OPTION #1. Midwest Critter Nation Single Unit with Stand
The Midwest Critter Nation is spacious, well ventilated and a suitable size to fit in your home. It also opens up for you to reach all corners without struggle making it easy to clean. (If you have to go the cheap way, go with this option. The cage is of high quality, will last for long and has enough space for even 5 pet rats. Better yet, you do not have to make any modification that will make it lose its aesthetic value). If you want to use substrate bedding, you will have to get some bass pans made by the bass company. You can also use fleece bedding if you choose to.
NOTE: You can get a single unit and later on if you want to add on for it to become a double, you can get an additional top. You will see what we mean by an additional top below. You can also get the double unit of this cage shown in option #2 below. Your choice. See 2 short clips under option #2 to get a feel of the Midwest Critter Nation cage.
Where do you get this cage?
US#1. MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Single Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 161) Includes 1 Leak-Proof Pans, 1 Shelf, 1 Ramps w/ Ramp Cover & 4 locking Wheel Casters, Measures 36″L x 25″W x 38.5″H Inches, Ideal for Dagus, Rats, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders
What About The Top Layer We Talked About Adding Later?
As you can see, having bought the single unit, you can later on buy the top unit if you are on a tight budget.
Where Do You Get The Top Layer?
OPTION #2. Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit with Stand
As indicated above, this is a double unit Midwest critter nation cage (CNC).
See helpful short clips to give you a better feel of this cage.
Where do you get this?
US#1. MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Double Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 162) Includes 2 leak-Proof Pans, 2 Shelves, 3 Ramps w/ Ramp Covers & 4 locking Wheel Casters, Measures 36″L x 24″W x 63″H Inches, Ideal for Dagus, Rats, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders
OPTION #3. Savic Suite Royale Navy Blue Small Animal Cage 95 x 63 x 159 cm Also Known as Savic Rat & Ferret Cage Royal Suite 95
This cage basically works the same way as the Midwest Critter Nation.
How will it look in Your House?
Where do you get this cage?
The Savic Suite Royal XL resembles the above cage but slightly bigger. Where can you find it?
1.UK: Savic Suite Royal XL
2. UK: Savic Suite Royal XL Cage
3. Uk: Savic Suite Royal XL
OPTION #4. Zeno 3 Savic Empire
- You may come across 2 versions of this cage. The Zeno 2 (which is option #5 below) and Zeno 3.
- The difference is that the Zeno 3 is bigger/taller than the Zeno 2.
Where Do You Get The Savic Zeno 3 Empire Cage?
US#2. Zeno 3 Knock Down Empire
UK#2. Savic Zeno 3 Empire
OPTION #5. Savic Small Pet Cage Zeno 2
The Zeno 2 is another good choice for your pet rats or even Short-tailed Opossums. It is secure, durable, spacious and sturdy. However, the Zeno 3 in option #4 above might be better.