What Do Short-Tailed Oppossum Eat (STO)?
As a new short-tailed opossum owner, you might be wondering “What Do Short-tailed opossums Eat?”
Short-Tailed Opossums are Omnivores but more of carnivores.
5 Categories That Constitute Short-tailed Opossum Diet (What Do Short-tailed Opossums Eat?)
- High quality dry Cat food for adult short-tailed opossum and High quality dry Kitten food for young short-tailed opossum. (see recommendations below)
- Treats such as insects, meal worms and cooked eggs (You can get Freeze dried cricket/grasshoppers, super worms. 1-5 bugs a day is okay.)
- Rodents (They like Baby mice pinkies.)
- Fresh Food- meat (fish, chicken breast, ground turkey), hard-boiled egg, scrambled egg, small amounts of fresh fruit (e.g. cantaloupe berries, grapes) and small amounts of fresh vegetables (if your short-tailed opossum fails to eat vegetables, blend it with some fruit-e.g. zucchini with kiwi and banana), yoghurt drops. Remember that fresh food goes bad after time and should not be left in the cage, give in the evening and remove in the morning.
- Water- The importance of water to your Short-tailed opossum cannot be emphasized enough!!! She or he can become dehydrated quickly. Always ensure there is enough clean water in his or her cage. Use a water bottle, you will see recommendations below.
DO NOT give Avocado. It is bad for them.
As you can see above, there is a mention of a young short-tailed opossum and an adult short-tailed opossum. Lets’ make this clear…
- Young short-tailed opossum: under 6 months
- Young adult short-tailed opossum: 6-12 months
- Adult short-tailed opossum: 12+ months
NB: A young adult can start feeding on adult food
Again, you can see the mention of high quality!! What does this mean?
- Protein content should be 30-40%.
- Fat content should be 10-15%.
Tip on Ingredients: If there is fish, the poop will be smelly. Look for chicken, turkey or duck.
Too much wet CAT FOOD does not go well with STOs.
Based On The Above, These Are The Recommended High Quality Cat and Kitten Food
An Important Note Before Looking at the Food:
When changing a meal or brand you have to do it slowly, a process that takes about 4 weeks as you are checking on your short-tailed opossum’s behavior and health. The recommended plan is:
- First Week: 75% old food, 25% new food
- Second Week: 50% old food, 50% new food
- Third Week: 25% old food, 75% new food
- Fourth Week: 100% new food
Young Short-tailed Opossum
1. Simply Nourish™ SOURCE Kitten Food – Natural, Grain Free, High Protein, Chicken & Turkey
2. BLUE Wilderness® Grain Free Kitten Food
Adult Short-tailed Opossum
1. Simply Nourish™ SOURCE Adult Cat Food – Natural, Grain Free, Chicken & Turkey
2. Simply Nourish™ SOURCE Adult Cat Food – Natural, Grain Free, Rabbit & Chicken
3. Simply Nourish Source Fish & Chicken Recipe High-Protein Grain-Free Adult Indoor Dry Cat Food
4. Solid Gold Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food; Winged Tiger Grain Free, Real Quail & Pumpkin
5. Solid Gold Senior Cat Dry Food; Furrever Young Grain Free with Real Turkey
6. BLUE Wilderness® Grain Free Weight Control Adult Cat Food
7. BLUE Wilderness® Grain Free Chicken Mature Adult Cat Food
Suitable Water Bottles For Your Short-tailed Opossum Cage
You need to make sure your short-tailed opossum has access to clean fresh drinking water in a clean water bottle. Some people have had some problems with various water bottles but these have been found to have the least or no problems at all.
Living World Eco + Water Bottle
Where Do You Get This?
There is an important read about pet water bottles here that can be very beneficial, especially if you are encountering some problems.
Choco Nose H128 Patented No Drip Small Animal Water Bottle
Where Do You Get This?
In the US, you can get it at Choco Nose H128 Patented No Drip Small Animal Water Bottle. Best Water Bottle for Small Pet/Bunny/ Ferret/Hamster/ Critter. BPA Free. 11.2 Oz. Nozzle Diameter: 10mm (Blue)
How Frequent Should I Feed My Short-Tailed Opossum?
- Late evening 5pm to 12pm when they are about to wake up: 1-1 ½ tablespoon of High quality dry cat food for adults or High quality dry Kitten food for young ones. You can also give treats like insects, meal worms, eggs to supplement the cat food.
- Fresh water at all times.
Examples of Good Food Bowls
1. Marshall Snap ‘N Fit Small Animal Food Bowl 2 cups
2. Living World Ergonomic Dish
Where Do You Get This?
3. Petzilla Cat Ceramic Bowl for Food, Heavy Base Feeding Dish, Prevent Tipping or Spill Over
4. Kaytee Paw-Print PetWare Bowl, Colors Vary