Looking for Suitable Short-Tailed Opossum Cages? Here Are 8 options(updated 2022)
There is not much on Short-Tailed Opossums(STOs) out there, but here is what we gathered on suitable cages for them.
Short-Tailed Opossum Cages Musts!!
- Check the cage wire spacing to make sure your STO cannot escape. The spacing should be at most 0.5 inches. The wire cages listed below have narrow wire spacing and can also be used for pet rats.
- Short-tailed opossums love climbing, need space to forage and need space for the exercise wheel.
- The cage should have a solid bottom to ensure your STO doesn’t hurt his or her feet on wire flooring.
- Height and Length of the cage
- Minimum cage dimensions are 12 w x 24 l x 18 h inches.
- Bigger the better!!!! The taller the better!!!
Let’s dive straight into the short-tailed opossum cages that meet the requirements above
OPTION #1. Midwest Critter Nation Single Unit with Stand
Cage benefits and tips
- The Midwest Critter Nation is spacious, well ventilated and a suitable size to fit in your home.
- It also opens up for you to reach all corners without struggling, making it easy to clean.
- The preferred bedding for the Midwest Critter Nation (CN) cage is fleece.
- However, if you want to use substrate bedding, you will need to get some bass pans made by the bass company.
- Alternatively, you can use fleece bedding and then add container-like or hideout accessories. Add substrate bedding in them to offer your STO places to forage.
Critter Nation Replacement Pans (Get this at Bass Equipment Company)
NOTE: The good thing about the single unit Midwest Critter Nation (CN) cage is that if you want to add an extra cage later on to increase climbing space for your STO, you can get an additional top.
However, if your finances allow you to do so, you can straight up get the double unit of this cage shown in option #2 below. We have also shared some short clips under option #2 to help you get a feel for the Midwest Critter Nation cage.
Where do you get this cage?
US#1. MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Single Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 161) Includes 1 Leak-Proof Pans, 1 Shelf, 1 Ramps w/ Ramp Cover & 4 locking Wheel Casters, Measures 36″L x 25″W x 38.5″H Inches, Ideal for Dagus, Rats, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders
What About The Top Layer We Talked About Adding Later?
As you can see, having bought the single unit, you can later on buy the top unit if you are on a tight budget.
Where Do You Get The Top Layer?
OPTION #2. Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit with Stand
As indicated above, this is a double unit Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation.
See these helpful short clips to give you a better feel for this cage.
Where do you get this?
US#1. MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Double Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 162) Includes 2 leak-Proof Pans, 2 Shelves, 3 Ramps w/ Ramp Covers & 4 locking Wheel Casters, Measures 36″L x 24″W x 63″H Inches, Ideal for Dagus, Rats, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders
OPTION #3. Savic Suite Royale Navy Blue Small Animal Cage 95 x 63 x 159 cm Also Known as Savic Rat & Ferret Cage Royal Suite 95
This cage basically works the same way as the Midwest Critter Nation.
How will it look in Your House?
Where do you get this cage?
The Savic Suite Royal XL resembles the above cage but slightly bigger. Where can you find it?
1.UK: Savic Suite Royal XL
2. UK: Savic Suite Royal XL Cage
3. Uk: Savic Suite Royal XL
OPTION #4. Zeno 3 Savic Empire
- You may come across 2 versions of this cage. The Zeno 2 (which is option #5 below) and Zeno 3.
- The difference is that the Zeno 3 is bigger/taller than the Zeno 2.
Where Do You Get The Savic Zeno 3 Empire Cage?
US#2. Zeno 3 Knock Down Empire
UK#2. Savic Zeno 3 Empire
OPTION #5. Savic Small Pet Cage Zeno 2
The Zeno 2 is another good choice for your STO or even pet rats. It is secure, durable, spacious and sturdy. However, the Zeno 3 in option #4 above might be better.
Where Do You Get This Cage?
-We noted that some short-tailed opossum owners used glass terrariums, habitats or even aquariums as STO cages.
– We cannot say they are 100% bad, but there are two main concerns worth pointing out before giving the examples of these cages.
- Ventilation (if you go the glass cage way, ensure it is well/highly ventilated).
- Where do you attach climbing accessories? (Many STO owners place branches in the cage and attach hammocks to the top cage cover, which is usually meshed in most cases).
It’s better to go with the wire cages highlighted above, but if you must get a glass cage, here are examples of glass cages used by some Brazilian short-tailed opossum owners
OPTION #6. Exo Terra Glass Terrarium, 18 by 18 by 24-Inch or Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit, Medium size 18 x 18 x 24 inches
OPTION #7. Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat for Reptiles 30” W by 18” L by 30” H
- This is an alternative to the Exo Terra All Glass Terrarium, minimum size 24 by 18 by 12-Inch or Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit, Medium size 18 x 18 x 24 inches above.
- It is MORE VENTILATED (top and below).
Where Do You Get This Cage?
Walmart: Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat
OPTION #8. 20+ gallon long Aquariums
1. For Aquariums, you need at least 20 gallons. You will need long ones, not tall, so that it can be easy for you to reach in them.
2. A cover for the aquarium is required. You have 2 choices.
Choice #1. DIY a meshed lid cover
Choice #2. Buy the Zilla Fresh Air Screen Cover (MAKE SURE THE MEASUREMENTS OF THIS COVER MATCH THE SIZE OF AQUARIUM YOU GOT).
Where Do You Get This An Aquarium?
Where Do You Get The Cover?